Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 9

Woke up and played "Country Suicide" in a tomb by Chopin's grave:

            I called that girl again. She said she'd passed out all night til 1 a.m. and was glad I called today. She's annoyed that I don't have a European cell phone but I'm calling her again at 6:30 tonight. I'm going to Notre Dame then the contemporary art museum. She seemed happy to hear from me. I wonder if she's 20.
            Just sat on the train platform trying to fix my definitely-broken headphones, (underneath this hilarious warning sign

"Get struck by lightning and get a job as an extra in the 'Thriller' video") when a guy SMOKING said something aggressive to me in French.
            I said "Sorry I don't understand" in English 3 times before offering him my seat. He got frustrated and sat down next to me and told the guy next to him something insulting about the English. I wonder how often the "I don't understand" excuse has been used on me by a foreigner. I assume the guy wanted money. I have 20 Euros cash left.
            The Modern Art Museum is the most confusingly designed building ever, I believe intentionally so. Saw some good stuff:

like this waist-level 3 meter-long glass box which was not made by Francis Ford Coppola

but most of it sucked. I got so exhausted walking around that enormous building and getting lost every five meters, then went to a payphone and called that girl again. She said she'll be in Paris in 2 hours because she lives with her parents in the suburbs (which is common in Europe). I'm going home to devour my groceries and call her again later.
            Walked past a "librarie de super-heroes." Disappointed to discover it's just a store and not a library, though I guess it's not literally filled with super-heroes, either. It was cool to see Daniel Clowes and Alan Moore's stuff in French, though everything here is far too expensive.
            The store was playing Tracy Chapman. I guess the "all comic stores must only play metal" rule doesn't apply here.
            I'm so much happier reading comics than going out.
            That girl asked if I like soccer, and I said "not that I know of." I told her that tonight I could go back to the squat or the Swans concert. I forgot to actually invite her but intended to. I bet I get overconfident and ruin it as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment