Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 14

         Jim insists on opening his windows, so bugs get in, then they land on me in my sleep and wake me up. So since I couldn't sleep in my sleeping bag on the floor, I got up in the middle of the night and moved it to his bed. He got really annoyed at me for putting his stuff on the floor when I did this (India seems to have an intense fear of the germs on the floor, despite not even taking obvious precautions against germs in any other situation), so I went out by myself to give us both space.
         I don't know what the hell this sign is for but it really looks like Kate Ferencz drew it:

         It's amazing how poorly thought-out India is. No screens on open windows, no separation between shower and bathroom, and many doors don't close, despite having deadbolts, because the carpenters don't bother to measure even once, let alone twice.
         I'm unsure how I feel about the cattle here, yes, they roam free, but the locals throw rocks at them to get them out of their gardens. Would a pen be better? Maybe I feel OK drinking their milk.
         I no longer think I want to live here forever.
         I tried walking back to Jim's after lunch - only I could get lost in McLeodGanj. There's only one square in the city and I knew Jim's was downhill from there but I chose the wrong street so I ended up at the Dalai Lama's temple, where I found some tourists with a map and realized Jim's is on the only other road in town. Of course, he was gone when I got there so I couldn't get in, anyway. I'm not worried, I bet he is.
         They offer $11/hour massages here, I may do that, but it's too hot today.
         I look awful without shaving. I keep seeing hot western women, too. Maybe the open mic tonight will help. I doubt it.
         I walked around a bit, then hiked down a dust/dirt path covered in animal shit, probably mule. Saw the best view, sang a bit, no echo. Considered filming a dance video, but was startled by locals walking by.
         I sat in the sun on a rock and realized I'm really here and have no obligations to anyone. I feel at peace and all I feel like doing is singing and looking around.
         I guess my life wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment