On Sundays, groups of carolers are all over Venice, singing beautiful old songs in Italian. Why don't we do that in the US? The Best Thing Ever needs a choir. I guess Improv Everywhere sort of does that.
This sign is EVERYWHERE and I have no idea wtf it means but I'm guessing it's a marketer trying to promote himself:
Remember the coat I almost lost yesterday? I decided it was too heavy and left it with Lydia to bring back to the US. I left her to sleep and feel sick (she claims it's due to the mildew and mold in her old-ass Italian hotel) then went back to the train station to Padua to meet Angelo, who I'm staying with tonight. My bag is insanely heavy, my arms and back lost circulation after wandering around for 40 minutes (I got lost again of course). Venice truly shuts down at 5 PM. This is what the moon looks like there:

After walking around forever, I finally gave up finding the train station and waited for the boat that goes there. After waiting in line for a few minutes, I couldn't find where the boat going towards Palazzo Roma station picks up, so I gave up and turned around to start walking again, then discovered I was AT the station. I'd accidentally wandered over to it while lost. I went in to find out the next train wasn't for over an hour. I found a payphone to call and tell Angelo I'd be late. I recharged my mom's phone card and discovered $10 gets me 7 minutes in Italy, 20 in France. I kind of wish she hadn't given me this stupid card, by the end of this trip I'll have spent more money recharging it than I'd have on a European mobile phone, but then I'd be checking it constantly like in the US.
My phone doesn't tell time without service though, and I don't have a watch (of course) so I'm gonna be late a lot. I'm looking forward to being totally without obligations in Paris b/c I don't know anyone. I'll get so, so lost.
When I got to the train station in Padua I had to get on a bus to Angelo's house. I asked the information desk which bus to take and the guy pointed to one that had just left. I asked him where the bus to the airport picks up in the morning and he pointed in the general direction of "behind him." Again, I'm gonna get so, so lost.
I got on the next bus that picked up there, then asked the conductors where "the blue bridge" (Angelo's directions) is. They thought we'd passed it and told me to get off and get on a #3 bus. Actually, they didn't speak English but a nice lady on the bus translated for me.
I got off the bus and walked back to a small bridge we'd passed, saw it wasn't blue, and walked back. On the way, I saw a map which showed me I was only 1/4 of the way to the stop I should've gotten off the bus at. I made up a song while I walked, shoulders killing me from the weight of the backpack:
I walked for maybe an hour before pissing on a bush by the side of the road and being startled to discover the bus approaching. I quickly zipped up and ran to the bus stop, had to yell at them to wait. I showed them my ticket and explained I got off at the wrong stop, they actually let me on. People have been really nice so far.
When I finally got off at Bassanello, I couldn't find the street (of course), even with a life-saving map someone posted on the roadside. I walked around a bit then yelled at a lesbian couple "Do you know where Anconitano is?" but they said they didn't know so I wandered around more. It's probably around 11 PM by this point tho I don't have a watch so have no idea. I went back to where the lesbian couple were and they said they had a smartphone that could tell me where I needed to go. They said it was really far away and my heart sank. Then they showed me the map and they thought I'd said "Antonia" b/c my Italian accent is so shitty. I showed them my handwritten "Anconitano" and they said "OH! Anconitano! It's right over here" and walked me 10 meters to the road.
I buzzed Angelo's place and he had an air mattress set up for me! After letting me check the bus schedule to the airport, I slept til he woke me for breakfast and then drove me to the bus station! I'd have missed the bus by getting lost once I got there if he hadn't! Everyone has been so nice to an almost complete stranger. I need to remember to pay it forward more. Also, I don't know how I'd do this if I hadn't stayed with people who have the internet and cars, even though I'm foolishly proud to have neither.
I loved Italy, I hope Paris is just as good. I smell.
No comments:
Post a Comment