Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 11 (continued) INDIA

           I want to thank the genius who put Argo on the international flight to Delhi. It prepped me to be nervous for the trip, but I'm trying to remind myself not to worry. Cool to see Ham Jordan, though the actor didn't try to get his accent right, and they claimed he had kids in 1980 but Hamilton Jr wasn't born 'til 1984. I miss that kid.
           One thing the movie got right is his dad truly was the type of macro-analytic linear thinker who fears originality and would shut down a great idea like Argo.
           The Air France flight was phenomenally nice, btw. I got to watch the first television shows I'd seen since I left the US. Also, at one point I successfully walked over the guy in the aisle seat without waking him. It involved a lot of standing on armrests. I recommend trying this at home, kids.
           Here is the obligatory picture of what Delhi looks like:

Later:
More like Hell-i.
           Got off the plane to discover customs doesn't even read your Visa, they just stamp you and wave you through without a word. I declared nothing, then walked over to the money exchange place to get rid of my 5 remaining Euros and $30. Rupees are 51/$1 right now. I immediately bought anti-mosquito cream (they didn't have any DEET, which worried me b/c the woman who vaccinated me told me I HAD to have it) and picked up my enormous bag which the woman at Air France had covered with a lot of "scotch" (her abbreviation for Scotch tape), then put in a huge plastic bag. When I opened it, the stench of wet clothes began attracting mosquitoes. I prayed they didn't carry malaria, as Delhi is the one city I'll visit this trip where I could catch it.
           I met Jim outside and we got in a 900 rupee cab to Majnu-Ka-Tila. First time I'd ever been in a car where other vehicles come towards you on the right rather than the left:

           I was preoccupied with fear of disease and Jim pointed out that I was the only person he'd ever met who didn't look out the window (except to take that picture) when visiting a new country. I later explained that we Aspies have a lot of trouble handling change so it was all I could do not to have a meltdown like the one he inadvertently caused 18 years ago when I permanently injured his eardrum.
           At around 10 PM, the cab dropped us off next to a barely-lit walking bridge, where we walked over sleeping people and past many stray barking dogs. Then we went through the narrow alley which was crowded with beggars and shit-water (sort of like in City of God) to the guest house.

That's the currency they use here, right? Roofies?
           When we got to our incredibly humid and hot room and turned the lights on, I could see the roaches scurry under the beds. No shower, just a bucket and a faucet in the bathroom. Jim said this is one of the nicer places he's stayed, that's why it's so expensive ($10/night total). I was glad to have my sleeping bag so I didn't have to actually use the sheets on the bed.
           I brushed with the bottle of water they gave me on the plane, had to remind myself that I can't drink the water here. Feeling pretty scared of losing Western comforts but with Jim's help am remaining open-minded and trying to only judge things for valid reasons, rather than because they're less than I'm used to. The adventure begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment