Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 1

           A 7 hour layover is exactly enough time to go from JFK airport to Williamsburg, have sex with someone you've only met once before, then go back (including my inevitable getting lost). Got cat hair all over my pants, my allergies might make this plane-ride really suck. I already checked the bag with my spare pants in it, won't get it again til tomorrow morning in Italy.
           On the way to JFK I saw a beautiful, obviously European young lady w/a guitar case and rolling suitcase. I glanced away, needing time to decide to get the courage to be friendly. We stood in silence, waiting to transfer. I was hoping to meet a French companion. Finally sat near her on the train, and, after maybe 10 minutes, enough people left so I could casually ask "Hey where was the show?"
           She told me she'd just spent 3 months in Mexico and the US but only played for fun, not live. I told her I have gigs in Paris and we rode to the airport together. She was really friendly, a necessary trait of travelers, and I was so proud to not have let the chance slip by. I was really only practicing for Paris. She was German and told me she'd just graduated from high school(!) and her boyfriend was campaigning for Die_PARTEI, a satirical political party who actually got someone elected in Germany and Italy!
She also told me the nazis put up a poster outside a Jewish memorial in Berlin.

The phrase translates to "give it some gas!"
           They got arrested b/c nazi hate-crimes are illegal in Germany but they got off by explaining that they just meant "go for it!" and that the motorcycle was a metaphor for the progress of their politics. Die PARTEI retaliated by putting a poster over it with a picture of a famous nazi who'd died in a car crash, but they left the "give it some gas" phrase.
           I told her about The Best Thing Ever and we went to our separate terminals. I stimmed with delight at having talked to a stranger and not letting an opportunity pass before I got on the plane and tried to sleep in preparation for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment